- 1 14½-ounce can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers, drained (or substitute fresh roasted red peppers)
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, rinsed and chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread, toasted and diced (for croutons)
- Combine tomatoes and red peppers in a blender or food processor. Purée until smooth.
- Put tomato mixture in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add evaporated milk, garlic powder, and pepper. Return to a boil, and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, and serve.
- Optional step: Toast and dice one slice whole-wheat bread for the croutons.
Recipe Source: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/eat-right/tomato-soup.htm